For the past nine years we have offered a specialized yoga class ~ Yoga for MySelf: Yoga for MS ~ designed to address the specific needs and abilities of those with Multiple Sclerosis. Gentle, therapeutic yoga exercises and postures are modified as necessary and suggestions are given for alternate or supported versions of yoga poses. Class size is restricted in order to ensure that proper attention and supervision are given to each attendee.
• Gentle, modified Hatha Yoga poses (asana)
• Balancing of muscle groups, stretches, hip and spine mobilization
• Yoga exercises to assist with proprioception, balance, gait
• Learning to recognize forms of stress and tension in the body
• Focus on confidence and body-awareness
• Using the breath properly to decrease fatigue and chronic pain
Yoga classes meet weekly at First United in Bloomington Indiana. The facility is appropriate for those with restricted mobility: Handicap accessible parking, no stairs, non-slip floors, and wheelchair accessible bathrooms. The instructor is a yoga therapist specializing in yoga therapy for MS and other neurological conditions, yoga therapy for disability and rehabilitation, and has both a personal and clinical awareness of Multiple Sclerosis.
• Tuesdays at 9:00am | $10 per class
• Ability, energy level, and knowledge of yoga vary. We ask that participants come to class with a sense of humor and respect for others. Please bring a large towel, and ensure that all phones are turned off BEFORE entering the room
Do you have questions or concerns?